Public folders are an optional service available to all Apptix hosted Exchange customers. Public folder space is allocated from your total aggregate Exchange storage space. You can purchase additional Exchange storage space through the Buy Additional Resources function in the Store section of the Control Panel’s main dashboard.
Public folders contain items that can be viewed by any or all members of your organization—who have been given proper public folder permissions—via Outlook (or Entourage), or the Public Folders option in Outlook Web App (OWA). The public folder can be a standard folder for storing email and/or files, or it may be any of Outlook’s specialty folders: Contact, Calendar, Notes, Tasks, etc. For instance, you can create a public folder calendar called “Company Vacations” to track and manage your company-wide vacation scheduling. (NOTE: This function is not currently available in Exchange 2010.)
Standard, non-email enabled, public folders typically can be managed via the Outlook email client software. However, we suggest that you use this function to setup standard “top-level” public folders (see NOTE below). Most importantly, to email-enable a top-level public folder you MUST use the Apptix Hosting Control Panel.
- Log into the Control Panel.
The Apptix Control Panel main dashboard displays:
- Select the Exchange tab from the menu bar to access the Exchange dashboard:
- Select the More Services tab:
- Select the Public Folders option:
You may click in the Name column of any previously defined public folder (if available) to edit parameters associated with that folder.
- To create a new public folder, click the [Add New Public Folder] button.
The Add New Public Folder screen displays:
- Enter the folder name in the Public Folder Name input field.
NOTE: Apptix recommends that all public folders should be created within Apptix Hosting CP so that their permissions, security, size limits, and email settings can be managed in the Apptix Hosting CP. If public folders are created using the Outlook client, these public folders will not appear in the Apptix Hosting CP —these folders will still be functional, but you will not be able to manage them through the Apptix Hosting CP.
Change the Size Limit from its default setting if you need additional space for the contents of this folder.
From the Default role drop-down menu, select the permissions level to the public folder to be granted to all users within your organization:
- Reviewer: Gives the default user permission to read items in the Exchange public folder. But they are not allowed to edit or delete items, regardless of whether they previously created those items or not.
- Contributor: Create items and files only. The contents of the files do not appear.
- Non-editing Author: Create new items but cannot edit content produced by others.
- Publishing Author: Create and read items and files, create subfolders, and modify and delete items and files you create.
- Author: Create and read items and files, and modify and delete items and files you create.
- Publishing Editor: Create, read, modify and delete all items and files, and create subfolders.
- Check the box next to Mail-Enabled if you would like this public folder to receive emails. For example, you can create a public mail folder called “Jobs” with an email address of email@example.com. You can advertise this address, and prospective employees can email their resume to the jobs address. The email will then be delivered to the public folder, where anyone in your organization who has the appropriate permissions can view them.
- Email address: Enter the desired email address prefix in this field. Select the appropriate domain name from the drop-down menu if your account has multiple domains.
- Show in address book: Check this option for this public folder email address to display in your organization’s Global Address List (GAL). Uncheck this option if you do not wish this public folder email address to show in the GAL.
- Accept messages from: Select one of the two radio button options to specify the type of email delivery for this email-enabled public folder:
- Everyone: Accepts email from any valid sender from your organization OR the Internet.
- Organization: Limits email delivery to only users from within your organization.
- Click the [Finish] button when you are done entering your parameters for creation of this public folder.
The Public Folders screen displays again, including the new public folder you have created:
Note that the public folders that have been email enabled have a green icon in the Mail-Enabled column, along with the corresponding primary email address of the public folder.
- To delete a public folder, select the appropriate checkbox and click the [Delete] button.
The selected public folder is deleted and removed from the list.